2 cups, store bought, or 2 cups made from 10 to 12 very ripe American persimmons, or 2 cups made from 6 to 8 of the larger, Asian, persimmon
- Persimmon Spice Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (grape seed, canola or corn work well)
- 4 eggs, beaten well
- 2 cups persimmon pulp
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1 tsp each salt, cinnamon and freshly-grated nutmeg
- Caramel Icing Ingredients
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Make persimmon pulp: Place persimmons in a colander or large strainer. Wash with plenty of cold, clear water. Repeat. Remove stems and leaves. Place persimmons in a food mill, or large fine-mesh strainer. Process through the mill, or, using a pestle, press the persimmons until all of the pulp is extracted through the sides of the strainer, leaving the seeds and skin behind. OR Peel the persimmons and use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the fruit until smooth. You should have at least two cups of persimmon pulp.
- Make cake: Cream sugar, oil, eggs and persimmon together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sift together dry ingredients and add in two batches to the wet ingredients, stirring until no flour streaks remain. Spray non-stick spray on two nine-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool cakes in pans on racks for 15 minutes. Remove cakes to racks.
- Make caramel frosting: Melt butter in large saucepan. Blend in brown sugar and salt. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring continually. Add milk and continue stirring until mixture heats to boiling. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar, adding vanilla at the end and whisking one more time. Ice cake immediately as caramel frosting will “set up” and begin to harden.
Join the Club, For Email Coupons and many other extras!Enter your Email Address