Chocolate Heart Cake for Valentines day.
This recipe is so moist and yummy Made extra special with the cutout harts.
festive enough to take to any Valentines day party
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⅓ c. boiling water
- 2⅓ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 6 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- ½ c. heavy (whipping) cream
- ½ c. semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. milk chocolate chips
- ½ c. white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325°F. Coat two 8 x 2-in. heart-shaped cake pans* with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with wax paper.
- Make Cake: Put cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. When cool, add next 4 ingredients. Beat with mixer on medium speed until blended. On low speed, add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat just until smooth (batter is thin). Divide between pans.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cakes, invert on rack, peel off the paper and cool completely.
- Make Frosting: Beat butter and vanilla in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in 1⁄2 cup sugar, then melted chocolate. Alternate beating in remaining sugar and 1⁄2 cup cream. Increase speed to medium; beat, adding more cream if needed, until spreadable.
- To assemble: Turn cakes right side up. With a serrated knife, trim tops level if necessary. Place 1 layer top side down on serving plate. Spread top with 1 cup frosting. Add another layer, top side down.
- Brush any crumbs off cake. Coat with a thin layer frosting then spread and swirl on remaining frosting.
- Shortly before serving, make Chocolate Hearts: Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Have ready assorted-size heart-shaped metal cookie cutters and red paste food color.
- Melt 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips as package directs.
- Pour onto the lined baking sheet and spread with a metal spatula to a 6 1⁄2-in. square. Refrigerate 5 minutes until set.
- Fill a shallow bowl with hot water. Dip cookie cutter(s) in water about 30 seconds, tap off excess water and cut out chocolate hearts. Refrigerate until needed. Repeat with 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips. Melt 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips as bag directs. Remove about 1⁄4 and tint red. Spread white and red chocolate on the lined baking sheet; proceed as above. RECIPE FROM W.D.