- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake in Taste of Home Special Interest Publications 2013